Friday, November 14, 2008

weird scientists, weird food

France, morning

The more I know about scientists and scientist lives, the more I think that some of them are really weird. Take Newton for example, he was apparently extremely aggressive and violent. A genius, no doubt about that, but also with some human interaction problem.

And then to come to our days I lately met a guy, a biology student who does not shower often to save the water for the planet (why not taking a quick shower instead and avoid wasting but also avoid to stink?) and does not flush the toilet after going to the bathroom for the same reason (save water). I personally think that all this is quite disgusting and even if I am a scientist there is a limit of decency that suggests me to flush the toilet after using it and shower (but about the shower, I already wrote another entry on this blog).

And then I found out that some scientists like to try "exotic" food (and some of them even think that this food is tasty) as mealworms (in the picture above) or locusts. The recipe to eat mealworms is to deep fry them. For the locusts, it is suggested to boil them and then put them in the oven with a bit of honey. I have to admit that I tried them and while the mealworms taste of nothing to me, the locusts are not too bad. But I would not eat them normally...but I wanted to try them.

4 comments:

Piccola said...

Mamma mia, che schifo!! In English we have a saying (although I don't live by this saying) and it's in regards to not flusing the toilet to save water:

If it's yellow let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

Personally, I flush no matter what color it is!!

About the strange scientist meals, I don't think I have the stomache to try them, yuk!!

By the way, it's not receipt, it's recipe. The Italian always says the same words in English like you. It makes me smile :)

fromtheworld said...

Yeah, independently of the color, I am for flushing...
About the food. After talking about this with my current boss yesterday, I found out that he have been eating even more disgusting stuff......
Thanks for the correction! I miss my English teacher....

Cycling Goddess said...

Yeah, if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down...

I'm thinking of getting a low flush toilet when I renovate my bathroom. This will be my contribution to the environment. Meantime, I will continue to flush :)

fromtheworld said...

the low flush toilet is a good idea and a great compromise between flushing and avoiding to waste water!
I am happy to see you back here!