Monday, November 10, 2008

how was life before the computer era?

France, afternoon

I managed to spend my week end without starting the computer. And I suffered. I reached two conclusions. One, I am a workaholic and two, I am a computer/internet addicted.
Yesterday morning, since I woke up, I felt the "need" of checking my emails. I had the feeling that I was missing something, like that world would have been collapsing if I wouldn't have checked my emails. Of course, nothing like this happened. And this morning I found in my inbox 34 new emails of which none needed an immediate action.

But still, it is the feeling I get. I wake up thinking I have to work and I have to check my emails. I wonder how long it really takes to slow down and be able to not live in function of my work and not feel guilty for when I do not work. And beside the point of how long it takes, how can I actually get there and fight the addiction to work and to emails? and of course, when I manage to be away from work and computer, it is almost all what I can think about...

What was I doing before to start my PhD and make my life depending on work and internet?
How could I have got to the age of 25 without checking my emails every 5 minutes and without working any single hour?

Does someone else have this problem and especially, was someone else able to break this pattern? and how?

2 comments:

VioletSky said...

I feel the same way about checking the blogs. When my computer crashed and was in for almost 2 weeks I felt so lost for the first few days. I have to keep going out for walks to stop myself from turning the computer on. I also have to actually close the doors on the armoir to hide the temptation.

fromtheworld said...

For me the worst moment is when I am at home alone and bored. I can't avoid to switch on the internet hoping to find an email, a friend on skype, some blog to read, something...But I managed to not check internet during the past week end (except early saturday morning). But it was hard. I had to keep myself busy!