Monday, November 24, 2008

same word, different languages

France, lunch time

I had lunch with my Iranian colleague today, like almost every day. And I shocked him. I asked him if he liked and knew the cous cous. And he shocked asked me "what???".
Apparently in Iran cous cous is a taboo word, something that you shouldn't say. For me, of course, the cous cous is this grainy thing to eat. And I love it.

Of course, as I am curios, I couldn't resist to ask him what cous cous means in Sirian. He was quite embarassed and then he told me that it means "the female genitalia organ"........and he added "imagine if when I go back to Iran I say that I have been eating cous cous"....

Same word, different languages....I guess that sometimes this can create some weird misunderstanding....So, if you travel to Iran, make sure to not ask for cous cous!

No comments: