Friday, November 21, 2008

should, would

France, evening

Evening at home for me. Hot tea with honey and a movie...and hopefully my cough will get better. I also took an herbal product for the cough. I hope it will not give me allergy (so far so good) and that it will actually do something.

This evening I got to think about what I would like to do sometimes and what I instead feel I should do because it is the correct thing to do. There is this brand of clothing that I love "Life is good". I am actually not sure if the brand has this name, but anyway, t-shirts, mugs, hats, all have this thing written on "Life is good". I actually regret that when I was in the USA I didn't buy a long-sleeves shirt with written "Life is good. Do what you like, like what you do" (or on the other way around).
I think it is such a simple true thing that a lot of time I forget. Do what I like, like what I do. Sometimes I am so stressed or so busy worrying about things that I forget this. I should print it big and hang it on the wall of my apartment, of my office, everywhere....

About this, sometime ago I was talking to a friend of mine and he was telling me that he went to a brain storming group about environment protection and living sustainable (or something like this). He said that all the participants were divided in groups in which different topics were discussed and that one of the things they told him before to start was that everyone should have been able to feel free to move from one group to another in case they were bored where or they were feeling that they didn't gain or contribute anything to the discussion. And then he said to me "isn't this something that we should be able to do also in normal life relationships?"

Maybe it should, for sure it wouldn't be considered nice to the person or the people talking to you...

But in fact, it is an interesting concept. While we were talking about this, I got to think about how many times I felt I was wasting my time, how many times I was in a place feeling I wanted to leave and how many times I did something different from what I wanted to do because of social constrains. I am not a superficial, arid person who is not able to listen. But I also feel, that sometimes out of guilt, out of what I feel I should do instead of what I would like to do, I constrain myself and so it would be actually nice if without hurting anyone, I could be able to stand up and leave a place, a conversation, a relationship, whatever...instead, I stay there and feel out of place or miserable. I should be able to say no, instead of yes if I would like to say no.

Do what you like, like what you do. Life is good.

Maybe I should keep this in mind.

No comments: