Sunday, November 16, 2008

carreer

France, lunch time

I slept a lot. I needed it. I think I slept something like 10 hours and half last night. I came back from watching a movie at one of my new friend place. The movie was absurd. The evening was nice. I think I would not be a good critique for movies, since I often disagree with the evaluation of some movie database. The movie was "8 femmes". A lot of good actresses wasted for that movie.

On friday I went dancing, with the same girl and other people. I love dancing, it is one of my passions. I am a disaster in whatever dance needs some technique (salsa, merengue, ballet), but when it comes to hip hop and improvising, I think I can dance. When I dance I am totally into my own world and so I was surprised when two guys came to me last night to tell me that I dance really well and they liked to watch me dancing. They were honestly not trying to approach me, because they did not keep talking to me (maybe also because I considered them "zero"), they just wanted to tell me that I basically impressed them. Ok, I have to admit it. That was a boosting thing for myself. So, when I started to pay a bit more attention to the people around me, I saw that yes, some people were staring at me dancing. It was nice. And so I started to think that since it is so difficult to find money to keep doing what I am doing, maybe if in the future I will have problem to find a salary then I could always have a part-time job in a disco-pub, while during the day I would keep up with my scientific career. It wouldn't be the first time, I already did it for quite a while when I was in Italy.
The main problems I see with this are: 1) when you are one of the girls paid to dance in a disco-pub is not that much about how you dance, but much more about how you look. The girl who was dancing at the place where I went friday couldn't do much more that moving her hips, but she was half naked and with a really nice body. In my case it would be different. I wouldn't dance half naked, I don't have a body that people would stare at, but I can dance. Based on the current requirements, I could not do the job.
2) I could be a much better bar-tender, since I don't even drink and I already did it for a while (in my previous job at the disco-pub before they decided to put me at the wardrobe :-(). But currently bar-tenders to be cool have to have a lot of piercing and tatoos. I have no tatoos and not really interested in getting one (and in the rare event I would get one, it would be on one of my foot, so not that visible) and the same goes for the piercing (ok, except for the ones for my earings, but they are quite plain). I would not considered cool enough to get the job then.

I keep thinking about ways to make money in the future, to survive and to keep working in science in the case every country will keep cutting the funding to research.

But I always enjoy dancing anyway....

PS. I forgot. When we left the disco-pub we met again these two guys, who recognized us and one of them started to talk to me. He was quite nice and not invasive. After I told him what I am doing for living he said "wow, then you are definitively intelligent"......I was surprised. I don't actually think about myself in that terms. Well educated, yes, intelligent, I don't know. I know a lot of intelligent people who didn't necessarily study that much and don't have a PhD. And I know a lot of people with a PhD who are definitively not that smart.....but I should thank those guys. In one evening I got two compliments from them and I can't say that they didn't make me feel good.

No comments: