Tuesday, November 11, 2008

explosion

Lunch time

Yesterday. I stopped to a pharmacy to get some bromelain (the active principle of pineapple) for an inflammation. I don't like to take medications if I can avoid it (and I already had more than two weeks of two different kind of antibiotics in my body), so since back in Italy my medical doctor prescribed me some bromelain for light inflammation, I thought I could use that. I asked to the pharmacist if the package she gave me contained 100% natural bromelain, no chemicals or anything else.
Her answer was:" no, no completely natural, no chemicals, only bromelain"
Me: " are you sure?"
"Yes"

And I bought it. I trusted her. I got home, had dinner and took one pill. In less than 5 minutes the left side of my face felt like it was close to explode. I got a painful, uncomfortable rush everywhere on my face, my neck and my shoulder and then of course I panicked. Apparently, the product she gave me provoqued an alergic reaction. A quite bad one. It took me hours to feel good again, trying to not scretch my face, which was hitching and burning (beside looking quite awful).

Result: I trew away the bromelain package (which was not even as cheap as in Italy), after finding out that of course, it was not only 100% bromelain (stupid me to not check that before). I keep the light inflammation till it will go away by itself and I try to avoid as much as I can to take any medication.
Lesson: if you know that you are sensitive to a lot of things and with the tendency to have skin rushes as soon as your body doesn't like something, don't trust anyone who wants to sell you something, not even a pharmacist with a degree...............

Now my face is fortunately ok again.

1 comment:

Portlandier said...

Ouch! That sounds like it hurt. Hope you get better soon.