Friday, November 28, 2008

are we so hurt by the past to desire to erase it to move on?

France, night

In some way today I made it to this evening in a more or less fine way. I didn't go running as planned, because I wanted to completely recover from the cough. I went instead to the Virgin megastore next to my place and I bought a movie and of course, another book. The book is titled "a year in the merde" and it is supposed to be funny. The movie was "The eternal sunshine of the spotless mind". I also didn't feel like cooking, so I got some wok food from the wok to go place (next to the virgin, great thing to live downtown), came back home and watched the movie. And I liked it.
I liked the idea beyond the story. And I got to think, would I like to erase memories of past relationships that made me suffer?
I mean, a lot of pain from the past would be removed. A lot of the feeling of not being able to have a succesful relationship would be gone. It certainly would have positive aspects. But would I like to have that if it would be possible? how much of past negative experience does actually stay with us and influence us without we notice it?
I certainly wouldn't like to remove any single memory, positive or negative, of the people I really loved, but what about the one who just made me suffer a lot? I don't know, I still think I would like to keep all my memories, good or bad that they are...because the past experiences made me the way I am, good and bad, messy for a lot of things, stable and good for others.

So, I guess no, I wouldn't like that......but the story of the movie was certainly interesting, and the love story in there was really nice (nice? ok, if you didn't see the movie you can't get this one) in some parts.

1 comment:

La Femme said...

Eternal Sunshine is one of my all time favourite movies! I have read a year in the merde and it makes for a light funny read :)