Thursday, October 9, 2008

the person of my life

Italy, night

I was on the bus with the people attending the conference in Sardinia. We were all going to the social dinner, when a guy who I never met before and with whom I never talked till that moment, told me that the person of his life, his soul mate, is from my home town.

Beside the fact that I thought it was not the moment or the right place for such a confidence, this was just the beginning of his moment of sharing his personal life with me. After such a confession, he in fact also told me that a) the person of his life now lives in Australia, while he lives in Milano b) he is married to someone who is not this person c) the person to whom he is married is then not the person of his life d) he realized too late that the person he let go was his soul mate e) he had no choice that marrying someone else.....and after all this he added that of course, his wife doesn't know about this.

Considering that the chance that him or his wife would end up reading this blog entry is extremely low, I can keep writing without worrying too much about hurting someone.
I can't really describe my face when he was telling me these things. I couldn't see myself, but I felt paralyzed. For sure I was shocked and speechless. I mean, what is the right thing to say in this kind of situation? I tried to cut his moment of confidence and move to another less dangerous field, but it didn't work. The fact that I come from the same home town that his soul mate was enough to made him feel I am the right person to listen to him.

In any case, the point is: how sad can you be if you realize that you already met the right person for you, the one with whom you could have really being happy, the one that you want to share your life with and you realize that you also let her/him go? how can you feel when you understand that you have been stupid enough to meet someone perfect for you and that you also lost her/him probably forever because of your stupidity ?

I really hope that this will never happen to me. It was quite disorientating. Sometimes it is really difficult to realize how important is someone in our life, especially if this person is part of our every day life. Can the right person come with a specific label, please? Something like "I am the right person for XXXX, born in XXXX, on XXX".

Wouldn't that make things a bit easier and less painful?

No comments: