Saturday, October 25, 2008

anyone for a nature walk?

France, afternoon

This morning, for the first time after almost 5 months that I live here, I have been to the open food market (which is only a few meters away from my place)....the reason why I have never been there is that I like to be lazy on saturday. Read a book, drink a tea in my pijama, clean my place, just relax and take it easy without rushing out. But today I woke up at 10 am with a nice sunny day outside and since in the last week I rarely saw the sun, I decided that I couldn't waste this day. So, I managed to go to the market before it closed. And I loved it. I bought veggies, fruits and seeds and bread...The bread especially tasted so good, that it is already gone :-)
I know where I will go shopping next saturday. I love love love open food markets. Supermarkets are fine, but they are so impersonal.

Beside this, I am really bored. I tried a lot of strategies to meet new people with whom to do something, but I can't manage to make new friends. I go to the gym, I take a French course, I am working in an environment full of people of almost every age and still nothing. I even asked to a friend to give me the email address of some of his friends here. I contacted them and nothing. One didn't even bother to answer, the other said that you know, he has a girlfriend, they are moving to live together, so he doesn't know how much time he will have and when (NB. I didn't ask him out for a date, I asked him if when he goes in the field for his work, I can join him sometimes, so that I can spend sometimes outside looking for animals....)....so, no success.
The weather is nice and I would like to do something with someone, especially take a walk in the country, outside the city. I can do it of course, but alone. And I am so bored. I like my own company and I have no problem on being by myself, but after a while I get bored. I am a really social person, I like to joke, I like to have fun, to communicate, to meet new people, to enjoy life...and I can't do all this alone!

A few weeks ago I saw an adv at the place where I work with written: "I just arrived here. I am looking for new friends. Contact me if you are interested". Ok, if you need to put an adv to meet new people, this says already a lot about this place. But I am not going to put an advertisment.

I think I will go to Ikea to buy a rug for my place. The floor is too cold.

PS. This morning at 10.30 am my bell rang. "I am Jean. We met yesterday" and me "Jean? I didn't meet anyone yesterday". Jean "Yes, you told me to stop by today, we met yesterday". Me "sorry, you confuse me with someone else, I don't know any Jean".......bah.....I come accross only to weirdos...

7 comments:

Portlandier said...

I know what you mean about making friends - after 3 years in my town I have barely made a friend which I have never had a problem doing before. Everyone I work with is also like 50 years old. And I tried the gym thing too! There are a lot of cliques and no one feels the need to add another friend to their group. You have my support:)

fromtheworld said...

making new friends shouldn't be that difficult, but it seems that everyone already has its own friends and so there is no need to meet new people, which is incredibly sad. Today anyway I found out that there is a small English bookstore downtown where every friday afternoon they have an exchange French-English...since they bookstore is ran by people around my age and from different countries, I hope that it would be a good occasion to meet new people...hopefully interested in making new friends...I keep hoping!!! and good luck to you too and thanks for the support.

Piccola said...

I can empathize with both of you, MissB and Thoughts....but Portland is a great place in that I have made some friends. I mean, we don't hang out all the time because everyone has their own lives or kids, but once in a while we go out and do something. The girls in my boxing class are super cool. Portland is a really friendly place, that's another reason why I love it here. Even Ale has made his own friends here and he has only been to Portland for a total of two months over 2 years. Of course, he is my best companion and I can't wait for him to come back!

I'm sure you will find friends at the book club. That's a great way to connect with people.

You see there are lots of us out here in the blogosphere that understand how you feel :)

fromtheworld said...

Blogging is amazing! it happens that someone you don't know, you never met and probably you will never meet is closer to you in the way of thinking and interests than someone you can meet in the place you live. Blogging helps me to feel less lonely in the way I feel.
Beside this, maybe we should all move to Portland. But honestly, I don't get why here it is so difficult. The place is cool, it is an University city and still everyone minds its own business...bah

La Femme said...

Don't be too down. I can highly recommend that you join this site, which I did when i was living in France.

www.couchsurfing.com

It's a fantastic website, and whether or not you choose to host people it is a way of meeting travelers to France or people living there who are interested in the world and all different sorts of people.

I met some wonderful people whilst living in France using this website.

fromtheworld said...

La Femme, thanks for the advice. I am going to check out the webiste today! I am not a big fun of meeting people using internet, but who knows, maybe I should start....

fromtheworld said...

La Femme, I tried the couchsurf website but or it doesn't work now or I am not able to find anyone in the aerea. I can't have anyone staying in my place, cause it is really small, but the website looks good to meet new people. I saw that you can also just mark to find people for drinks etc. I just can't find anyone here, which I don't believe it corresponds to the real situation. Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong?