Sunday, June 8, 2008

Saint-Guilhem le Desert

Montpellier (France), evening

It was supposed to be sunny today. I got sunny only after we finished hiking. I enjoyed the walk anyway, even if it was raining a bit. I went with Vincenzo (my almost cousin) and his fiancee to a small cute village close by. This place, Saint-Guilhem le Desert, is one of the due stops of the Santiago way, the way of the peregrines that goes from Arles to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. The walk was lovely and too bad I didn't see almost any animal if we exclude one scorpion, a beetle, a bee and some butterflies. This is the view of the village from the hiking trail


There is an hermitage along the way. It was actually quite wet there and with something similar to caves (where the eremites were used to sit) and I looked for frogs or other animals, but nothing.....

In the village, where we stopped after the hike to drink something, walk around and enjoy the sun, there is a beautiful romanic (the spell check gives me romantic...I don't know if it is romantic, but I was referring to the style in which it is built) abbey, the abbey of Gellone. Unfortunately, part of it is in different museums in New York.....

No comments: