Thursday, June 19, 2008

Like in a movie

Montpellier (France), night

Today I met a nice Colombian woman. She was at the Department barbecue and she was extremely friendly, thing this that made me especially happy. We talked a bit about a lot of things and it came out that she has an Italian husband. The way she met him seems directly taken from a movie.

To be short. She went to a conference in Naples. She decided to take some holidays after the conference and one day from Florence she decided to take the train and go to Pisa because on her travel guide it was written about Pisa been historically famous as "Repubblica Marinara" together with Genova. So, she thought that Pisa must have been on the sea and since she wanted to see the sea, she got there. She started to walk around Pisa, trying to find her way to the sea (for whom don't know Pisa well enough, the sea is not in Pisa. Getting to the sea from Pisa train station is a long long long walk of hours). She ended up in a square where there was a concert when she realized that she had to run back to catch the train back to Florence. She missed the train. She came back to the concert, which by that time was on a break. On her way to the concert they gave her a small bottle of liquor to try. She didn't like it, but she had it in her hands when a guy asked her where she got it. That guy had a friend who realized that she was a foreigner and asked her if she wanted to go to see the sea. He drove her there, offered her to eat watermelon together, spent some hours together and then brought her back to the station. That's it. They kept in touch (she was working in France), she spent her holidays in Italy, they got together and now they are married with two children.

When she was telling this story I thought that it was such a cool way to meet the person with whom to spend your life and then I realized that something like this could never happen to me because:

a) if I am not in a familiar environment and someone, especially a man (and especially an Italian man with the bad fame that they carry with them), comes to talk to me, I would bark him something back to scare him away

b) if this person doesn't get scared and after this first attempt actually keeps talking to me and offers me to bring me to the sea, I would never go with him alone. If this guy is not even good looking, I would probably do my best to convince him that my boyfriend is big and will come soon (that normally doesn't work so well), that I have some weird disease for which it is better to stay away from me (I am not good in telling lies, so I am sure it wouldn't work either) and finally I would look at him really badly like I would like to kill him (I am mastering this look!).

c) if he is good looking and actually I wouldn't mind to know him better, I would still not go anywhere with him, but I would ask him his email or phone number and start at least a year long phase in which I would test him, push him away, be a total angel or a total bitch depending on the mood to finally realize if I think in a remote future it could work between us.

If someone is interested in following my strategy, I have to admit that the year testing doesn't seem to work very well, since my past relationships were long, but ended even if I tested the guys for longer than a year before to move from a close friendship to the next step......

2 comments:

Cycling Goddess said...

Wonderful story and very interesting theory :)

Relationships are hard to begin with, no matter what people say. It does take work and sometimes you hit the jackpot (like the woman) and sometimes you don't. I think in my younger days I probably would have gone, not sure now. But it's ok, that's the way I am.

It would be great to be friends with her. She seems like a nice person.

fromtheworld said...

she is a really nice person indeed. Yesterday we spent quite sometime (instead of working) in her office talking about jobs, Italy, people we both know who have been working with her, with me or with both. It was really nice.