Friday, June 27, 2008

apartment in France

Montpellier (France), afternoon

As I wrote in one of my previous blogs, Montpellier and the area around are just so nice to feel you (I) want to live here forever. Then you just need to look for an apartment or to try to move into one, and all this desire of living here forever is gone.
I think I idealized French and France a bit too much. Something is absolutely great here. The weather, the University environment, the city, the natural environment, the bread, the bars with the terraces outside. These are great things and I love them. But....
The but concerns anything involving bureaucracy, renting a place, respect for the common things and hygiene. I was supposed to move to the new apartment today. I was so looking forward to that. First, I could have said goodbye to my current noisy roommate, then I would have moved to live downtown and especially I would have had my own place to make it the way I wanted and have a bit of stability.
The reality was that the place was so dirty, but so disgustingly dirty that tomorrow first thing I will have first to clean it well. Then every single piece of furniture in there is broken here or there and kept together by tape. Of course this is not something that you can see just visiting the place once, without an accurate inspection. The shower is kept together thank to a piece of rope. The sink in the bathroom was grey on its frame. Some of the light didn't work. The oven doesn't work and they are not going to repair it because "it is not necessary to an apartment"...
I don't know the all place could be so great, great location, a lot of light, small but enough for just me...and then after the inspection today I felt like everyone here doesn't give a shit about what they rent since "if you don't take it someone else will".
I paid 900 euros of deposit for the apartment, because it was furnished and I think if I would have bought the same things that are in there, new, at the Ikea, it would have cost me much much less.
The person in charge of renting it said that they will talk to the owner and probably the chairs will be changed (ah, I forgot, one has a hole in the middle, the other one is broken) and maybe the bookshelf will be substituted. For the rest, they cannot promise me anything............
I planned my day today in a completely different way.

I am sure in a few months I will just laugh about it, but for now it is just disappointing. Beside being a waste of money.

1 comment:

fromtheworld said...

certo che non mi rompe. Anzi, ne sono ben felice!