Thursday, September 18, 2008

stick insect girls

France, morning

Still a bit sick, hopefully getting better.

Last night I watched the movie "Niagara" with M. Monroe. First thought, I liked the movie a lot. I liked to see how USA looked like back them (for this, I suggest to read one of the last book of B. Bryson (I can't remember the title in English) because it is great!). Second, women were really looking gorgeous at that time. With some soft shape. Not fat, just well shaped. I am not sure why now we are so obsessed with being skinny. I see plenty of women who are just too slim, beyond the point of being slim. They remind me of stick insects. Women who lost any feminine shape and when they walk around you think (or at least I think) that they are going to break if they are not careful enough. I am not talking about people suffering of anorexia. I am talking about all of us who continuosly obsess about being skinnier and skinnier. There is a healthy way to look, and this in my head is really close to the way old actresses were looking like. I am not saying that over-weight people shouldn't try to lose weight, that is good also for their health, not only for the way they look. I am talking more about women who already reached a healthy weight and want to lose more and more.

The way of calling a skinny girl "stick insect girl" is from a day I was sitting in a cafe' in New York with a couple of male friends (three of them). I was the only girl. I have to admit that it was quite frustrating to be there with only men, since New York is full of pretty girls and so these guys were not paying any attention to the conversation, to instead just stare here and there at the girls passing by. It was ok for me. I was just relaxing. Till a moment in which three really tall, really skinny girls passed by. Then, all the three men and one especially, got completely crazy. I don't know if these girls were models or what, but you could see their bones from their clothing.
So I asked them and I ask again here now does it really look sexy? does it look healthy?

There are people who are naturally skinny and they are still incredibly healthy. But the majority of us no. The majority of us has to fight to keep just the right weight and don't gain more. Maybe it is because I am shaped like a pear and so, no matter how much weight I can lose, I know that always a pear I will be. But I like women with some shape. Not the Botticelli women with a belly hanging down, but some healthy looking women with some "meat" at the right place. Unfortunately, even if everyone complains about anorexia, the images that the media send around are still full of these skinny girls and men with the six packs. Kate Moss looks healthy even if skinny, Victoria Beckam looks like she is suffering. Is it that difficult to use for movies/commercials/TV etc people who are not looking like they starve themselves to be that way? I am sick of a world that has as a woman model a stick insect!

PS. this is funny. After writing this blog, I saw that the dutch word of the day is "mager". It couldn't fit better with the topic of my today's blog entry.

4 comments:

Piccola said...

Did you read this?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080918/lf_nm_life/books_sexandthecity_dc

I will write more later. I am in school now but I wanted to share this with you.

fromtheworld said...

mmmmmmmm. I wonder how it will be...a lot of sex and the city was made up by the friendship of the 4 girls, at least to me. I am curious to see what Carrie before sex and the city can look like. Too bad I have to wait about two years before then.

Piccola said...

This is really cool. It's like we're having a conversation, in little pieces, everyday. :)

Great post. I agree. It's just as unhealthy to be too skinny as it is to be too fluffy. I've never been skinny, but I always felt my best when I had just enough (maybe a little more) meat on my bones. Athletic is a good way to put it.

It's strange that some men find this skinny look sexy, but too each his own. I'm glad that the fashion world is finally cracking down on this. I've actually heard little girls say that they are too fat and I couldn't believe my ears. They're too young to be thinking these things.

fromtheworld said...

I don't know why men like stick insects and I am not sure why women envy sticky insect, but it seems to be a quite widespread fact. Sadly. And I have the impression that the fashion world says that would like to change this, but that actually doesn't do too much too change. Have you seen the commercial of Oliviero Toscani, the photographer? it is quite strong. But that is more to avoid anorexia, which is at the extreme of wanting to be skinny.