Saturday, September 13, 2008

The bear

France, afternoon

I slept till 11 this morning. I really needed it. I could actually fall asleep again now, even if I had two coffees and a tea. The week end is surely my relaxing day!!! I should work. I should. But I should also relax and the latter feeling is currently winning.

I went food shopping earlier today and I saw an extremely pretty girl, dressed like a modern hippie. I thought that she was looking cool. So cool that she probably felt it was part of her being cool not to shave. She was wearing a nice bright green skirt from which her two un-shaved legs were sticking out. She had such a thick layer of hair on her legs that I looked again at her face/hands/feet to check if she was actually a woman or a transvestite. I am pretty sure she was a woman, even thought based on her legs she could look more like a bear than a woman.

I admire self-confident people, just because I am not one of them. But I also think that there is a limit beyond which self-confidence sometimes risks to overpass the limit of decency. Biologically there is an explanation on why our body is covered with hair. However, this reason made a lot of sense in the age of cave men, but not really now. In any case, I really admire her self-confidence. I wouldn't go out of my apartment with such a skirt and such a tick layer of hair even if they would pay me a lot. She did it and she didn't even show any minimal embarrassment for it, which made her gaining 1000 points to my eyes...............beside honestly looking quite awful.

2 comments:

Piccola said...

Hahaha! You make me laugh. You are really Italian! Ale is also so observant of peoples' appearance, but I agree with you. She should shave that fur off! Where I live here in Portland, there are a lot of hippy, tree-hugging, granola-munching, vegan-type people and I see some interesting looking people all the time. They don't shave their underarms, their legs and some women don't wear bras (and these are women who's breasts hang down to the floor!) so I can empathize, but hey, it keeps things interesting, right? How boring this world would be without these people to entertain us.

fromtheworld said...

I love this "hippy, tree-hugging, granola-munching, vegan-type people". The olandesino (my ex-boyfriend) called me that way once. I thought it was cool (but I am not vegan and a tree-hugging)! But I think I am not hippy enough to not shave or not wear bra. In any case, I just realized during my walk of a few hours ago, that according to the French style here, people look at me like I am a weirdo. So, yes, diversity is cool and interesting!