Friday, January 30, 2009

heading to New York

France, morning

I know it sounds crazy. It is crazy, probably. Less than a week ago I booked a flight to go to the USA. I am leaving today. In a few hours. The ticket fortunately was not too expensive, otherwise I couldn't have gone. I felt I needed to go there. To visit this friend of mine who is sick (and fortunately now is getting better), to take a break, to eat a lot of bagels, to enjoy a bit New York again, to be where I have been living for a year and half.

It feels weird. It does. It always feels weird when I come back to a place where I have been living for a while. I had a life there till December 2007. And now my life is in another country, with other people, other things. So weird. I hope to not get too sad.

The other weird thing is that one of my friend from there is not there now. And he will actually come to visit me in a few weeks. So, I am going there and we are going to meet in France. This is the life of the people like us who move all the time due to their work. It is also kind of nice in some way. You end up having friends everywhere (but not enough time and money to visit them)....

I got to the airport so early today. Because of the general big strike of yesterday, I didn't want to risk anything and so I got to the airport three hours before my flight. Because French, like Italians, are often late, everyone, from the check in person to the ones in charge of the passport control, kept telling me "wow, you are here so early, what are you going to do for three hours?".....well, there is internet and the Larsson book is so good that I have no problems to find something to do for the next hours.

My nose is running. But my throat is better. I guess my flu is going away, hopefully. It is anyway unpleasant to fly when sick....I will survive anyway.....I love to be in airports....I keep imagining where all these people go and why...I build up stories in my mind...Airports make me feel in connection with everywhere in the world. I know it sounds a bit silly.....

PS. the chairs at this airport are so uncomfortable....The best comfortable airport chairs that I tried are at the Schipol airport in Amsterdam.

1 comment:

Portlandier said...

I hope you have a nice time! It will be sunny I think:)