Wednesday, January 21, 2009

pies, bread and pizza

France, night

If you read my blog since quite sometimes, then you know that I am a disaster in cooking. I think I am a disaster just because I don't care too much about eating, as long as it fulfills me and it makes me happy at that moment. However, there are a few things that I truly love to cook (and eat too): pizza, bread and pies.

I learn how to make home made bread when I was working in Venezuela. I found making bread relaxing. Working the dough, waiting for it to be ready, give the bread all the different shapes you want, mixing the different ingredients. Of course, baking bread is not something I normally do, but if I have time, then from time to time, I love doing that.

I practiced my skills in making cakes and pies in Germany. My co-workers loved to try whatever I was preparing for them and so baking pies and bringing them to work was just an occasion for a nice get together. It was something social and so since then I always loved to make cakes for people working with me. I did that too in the USA, even if I didn't bring many of them to work, but more preparing them for Scott and myself. I really love to bake a pie and share it with someone.

In Germany I also tried to make a pizza with the olandesino. And the result was so good, that we kept making pizza often during the week end. It was so good to make our own pizza. And then he taught me how to make a typical dutch apple pie and I got so addicted to it, that I make and eat an entire pie just by myself in a day! So good. He also taught me how to make corn bread, which I love to have for breakfast. I got better and better in preparing that during my stay in the USA.

My master piece is the tiramisu', which I can't eat, since I am allergic to dairy products, but that everyone else seems to enjoy a lot.

I don't have a working oven here. Oven is an optional here in the South of France. I miss it so much. Making home made bread, home made pizza and pies and cakes is something so relaxing. And it is even more relaxing to invite someone up to share the things you prepared. I really miss to have an oven. I got a small one, but while it is ok for grilling, it doesn't really work to bake things uniformely.

Why did I come up with this topic tonight? I just watched the movie "waitress", which I thought to be a really boring movie and instead was not that bad at all. Nice, relaxing, inspiring (considering the fact that I wish I could bake a pie now) movie.

2 comments:

Portlandier said...

That's funny, I was just given the movie Waitress for Christmas--I thought it would slow or bad but it had a nice ending. I love pizza as well and just had one (so much for eating less bread). The fact that you make pies is so cool--ollaberry is my favorite.

fromtheworld said...

What is ollaberry? how is it made? I am just thinking of buying a small over, so that I can start baking again!