Saturday, January 17, 2009

women and cats

France, morning almost lunch time

This morning while walking to get a baguette, I got to think about the fact that it would be nice to have a cat with me. And one second after this thought, I realized, what is going on between single women and cats? especially single or lonely women who feel hurt and cats?

If you think about it, a lot of girls and women of whatever age who live alone have one or more cat and they are really attached to it, like a family member. If you think about old lonely women get described in books etc, the image is always of this woman with lot and lot of cats sharing with her the apartment. If you think of the fear of a lot of women is to end up alone with their cats. Even Miranda from Sex and the City in one of the episodes thinks of herself ending up alone with her cat feeding on her.

Why cats? why not a dog? dogs requires actually more attentions and they are more dependent than cats and so if you feel alone, a dog should make you feel more "useful" than a cat. I am certainly a cat person because a dog would depend too much on me, while a cat is more like me...looking for attentions when it wants them and mind its own things when it wants to be let alone. But what about all these other women?

In any case, my apartment is too small and I travel too much to have a cat. If I would have an animal, I want to be able to give it the best I can. But I can't wait for the day in which I will have a bit more stability and then I will be able to have not only a cat, but also terraria with tortoises, geckos and any other animal I would like to have. I miss my froggies, the one I had to leave in the USA. They are so cute...not really the smartest animals in the world, but so cute.

I decided that to cheer me up the music of today should be Cindy Lauper. I am a fan of the '80. Starting from Flashdance, ending to the legs warmer, which I still wear and love to wear.

Last night I am not sure if I liked the movie "Che-The Argentin". It was cool because being in the original language, I practiced my Spanish, listening to the movie in Spanish for 2 hours. But I don't know enough about the Cuban revolution to really follow it well. But Benicio del Toro is fantastic as a Che.

If you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you to watch "The motorcycle diaries". It is one of my favorite movies. First, because it is played in South America and I love South America and the scenarios are wonderful. Second, because the story is really nice, third because the actor interpreting Che Guevara is really good looking.

3 comments:

La Femme said...

I adore Benicio del Toro. He is my dream man.

Sigh.

Portlandier said...

Of course I must comment:) I'm not sure why single women with dogs are not thought of the same way either. But it get this all the time-old lady with cats. It used to bother me but I don't care anymore-it's just a pet and it doesn't mean anything more!

fromtheworld said...

MissB: yes, is it funny, right? I don't get it either. I love cats and if I could, I certainly would have one. But I never got this association in people's minds....You are lucky to have a nice cat.