Tuesday, February 12, 2008

why things don't work in Italy

Lucca (Italy), evening

It seems with strong probability that I have to go to Rome to personally bring to two different offices (on the opposite side of the town) my grant application. Sometimes I really ask myself if all this it is worthed. I have to go there, because they want everything in two or four copies, and these copies have to get to the right desk, where they will put a stamp on it, by monday. This grant application was the most random application I ever done in my life. Nothing is necessary, just two form with some dates, nothing more. But, and this is typical of here I think, the more you put in your application, the better it is. Not that I think anyone will read anything. No way. But here in Italy, people love forms and papers and signatures and stamps. I guess they make them feel important.
Once someone told me that the level of poverty of a country is proportional to the number of paper-work and stamps you have to do or to get to have something done. Based on this, we have the demonstration than Italy is really poor and who wonders why Italy is going bad (beside someone like Berlusconi and Prodi), can find an answer in all the incredible amount of paper-work that you have to do to get things done. People just get tired along the way, since everything is so difficult, and start to find their own ways to escape any rule and get things done anyway.
I am here since a little bit more than a month and I am already annoyed by this system.
This morning I went to inquire about the job at the cafe. They asked me a CV. Do they want a CV to be a waitress???? 10 years ago and more I was a waitress, I did my job and none asked me anything. If in all the time spent to fill forms or giving CV we would actually do something useful, then probably Italy would start to work.
So far 3 job application:
- the first at the ice-cream shop next to my mum' place: "you are too old. We are looking for someone maximum 24"
- second place: "ah, if you are a biologist and you have a degree and a PhD you cannot do this job. You need to be interested in sport". All this over the phone, without knowing me, asking me anything, just as an answer to my questions about the job. I answered that I even have a diploma to teach spinning, if this would make any difference and that among all the different jobs I did I also worked in a gym. After this the girl didn't even apologize and she just told me "ok, if you want to stop by to talk a bit. But it is a telemarketing job, so it is all about getting more registration to the gym". Ok, nevermind.
- third place, the cafe. I need a CV. This evening anyway I called back and someone else was there and they got my phone number and they say they will call me back for an interview.
I didn't think it was THAT difficult to find a simple job to get some money...........................
Tomorrow morning anyway I have to run to Florence, get some letter that I need for the grant and then run back here.....

No comments: