Sunday, February 3, 2008

Into the wild again

Lucca (Italy), evening

Into the wild finally arrived in Italy also. Of course, since it is not a commercial movie, it is not shown in every city and in the cities where it is shown (like Lucca), it is banished to small movie theaters with bad audios ect.
I will go to watch it again. I am actually looking forward to that. Since I saw that movie, I often feel like the main character. I feel like not fitting well in the system, I feel like a black sheep and here in Lucca all this is even amplified. I don't dress like them, I don't think like most of them, I am not interested in the "normal" things for my age and the place where I was born, I don't do things that the majority of people do. Thus, I deserve to be treated like a weirdo. My sister as a joke keeps saying that I don't dress like a woman, that I should change the things I like otherwise I cannot have too much chance to find a boyfriend (again this is not one of my worries at all). She doesn't even try to understand my world, since it is apparently so different from what everyone likes.
I feel so much like disappearing. The thing is that if I would disappear, the majority of the people here will just think that I am depressed or that it is another demonstration of how weird I am, of how crazy I am (as my father always liked to define me).
Where do I fit? how do I find people here to share some interests with? where are the ones like me? Because in my traveling around the world, I know there are people like me. Where are they here? why does everyone I know here like to make me feel so inadequate? is it to make them feel better?

1 comment:

Scott said...

People don't like things that challenge their way of life. It makes them feel afraid and insecure - so the common reaction is to criticize people who are different in order to make themselves feel better. Just be yourself.