Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The wall

France, morning

Ah, la France, la France.....
Yesterday at work. I get there in the morning, I entered the room and it was freezing. The person I share the office with told me that we were without electricity. Which means that since the heating blow cold hair and we use an electric heater, of course it was not working. Then we also were of course without light and since it was a grey day outside it was everything dark in the office. Ok, I thought I go back home to work there.
But then a man came and told us that the electricity would be repaired in a bit. So, it happened. So, I stayed and unpacked my stuff and started to work. We had to close the door since they were redoing some other office in the corridor and so it was really noisy.

Afternoon. Me working at the computer really concentrated. Suddenly I heard a BOOOM that made me jump on my chair (I am sure I have some additional white hair since yesterday) and a large piece of wall fell into my office. What was it?
Without saying anything to anyone, two of the people who were redoing some of the other offices, started to break down the wall separating the two offices of our working team. Yes, I knew that this would happen. I also knew that this would happen when none was there. Instead, since they were already working at the same floor, they decided to destroy also our wall....they could tell us something before to start....not, too easy...
So, I asked them if they were planning to keep working on that and for how long, because it was so noisy that I would have got home to work. The answer was "yes, yes".........Yes, yes what? so, I had to reformulate my question again, all this while they were making a lot of noise destroying the wall...Yes, they would keep doing that and yes they would keep doing that for a bit.
Ok, so I packed my stuff and when I put to sleep my computer I realized that the noise was stop. I went to the other room to ask if someone knew what was going on and they told me that since they realized that the entire structure was not really solid and that if they would have brought down the wall without reinforcing the adjacent structures, everything would have come down too, they stopped. Apparently, they will start again today.

I am not discussing here safety issues of the entire fact, but come on...is this an appropriate way of working??? fortunately I was not the only one annoyed and surprised, which means that also for the French this was not normal....

No comments: