Saturday, May 16, 2009

Gay marriage

Francia, morning

It is since some days that I keep thinking about human rights. People are continuously discriminated in this world. Whatever time someone is different or thinks in some way differently from what it is considered normal, he/she is also scary and so better to isolate him/her. I think that in these cases, ignorance is what generates the intolerant behaviors. I consider myself lucky, because I travel a lot, I meet a lot of different people and I grew up with a very open minded mother. Fortunately, because I was born in a very closed minded town.

I saw a nice couple yesterday evening. Two men, around 40 years old probably, walking hand by hand, talking and laughing, and generally looking happy. Then I felt the need of writing a post about my thoughts of these days in terms of gay rights.

Few days ago, I read a beautiful commentary of Umberto Veronesi (a famous Italian oncologist) about the gay marriage and I saw the movie Milk. I suggest to everyone to watch this movie, and not only because Sean Penn is amazing in the role of Milk and because James Franco represents the kind of boyfriend that I think any girl would like to have, but also because this movie opened my eyes even more on what people who do not conform to what is considered normal need to suffer to just be able to live their own life. The article of Umberto Veronesi was focusing on the meaning of loving someone, being a couple and wanting to be recognized as a such. I thought that it was a beautiful, very intelligent way to look at it.

Loving someone means to want to protect and feeling protected by the other person, it means to have someone you trust to share things and thoughts with, it means to desire to be part of something, it means to feel home next to someone. And this love is not necessarily only the one between a woman and a man. And this kind of love should be recognized as a such, no matter the sex of the people who feel such a love. Why can't gay couples be legally recognized? who would they offend? it is not that giving them the right to get married, the whole marriage would lose meaning. Actually, it would add something to it. It would be a celebration of love and respect. A celebration of a pact that two people decide to sign together.

Life is difficult enough. Everybody should have the right to be loved and feel part of something. And the ones who feel threatened by gays or feel offended by their sexual preferences, should start to think about why that and meet someone who is gay and see that they are not different in any way from any other individual.

PS. Perfect day to write a post about gay rights. Here, today, was a big gay rights day!

No comments: