Monday, February 9, 2009

like a Christmas tree

France, evening

If there is one thing I really like of living in France is that you can always get a simple, great sandwich for lunch. Most of the times is of course full of butter, so I also most of the times need to ask to prepare a special sandwich for me without butter (and here the seller goes: "no butter??? then you want some creamy cheese"), without cheese ("no cheese? it will taste of nothing. Maybe you want me to add some mayo"), no mayo thanks, just with a bit of olive oil. You can see the disappointment and disgust in the seller eyes, but hey, I am Italian. I was born in olive oil!!! Plus, I like to eat plain things. In any case, when the quality of the food is good, plain things taste great! and this is the advantage of living in places like France, Italy, Greece. You just need a bit of good bread, some olive oil, a tomato and some ham or cheese if you can eat it and done. You have a great lunch!

So, today I got this good sandwich and since I went for lunch alone (I am still with jet-lag, so I had lunch out of a normal decent lunch time), I ate while reading a magazine. It was a gossip magazine, perfect to rest my mind from my thoughts about work. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were in there, obviously. Now, there was a picture of Angelina Jolie with all her kids (3 natural and 3 adopted if I remember well), but one who was with Brad. So Angelina Jolie was walking in the airport looking like a Christmas tree with kids hanging from every side. So, beside the fact that there is not too much need to have so many kids since we are already too many in the world, isn't a bit too much to have six kids to be sure to actually take a good care of each of them?

PS. I forgot to mention one thing. I left France more than a week ago and there was a big strike. The Universities and research institutes everywhere in France are still on strike. So, if you count the 52 days of holidays that these people have, add the National holidays (other about 10 days I guess), add a couple of hours each day of break to drink a coffee, and add to this all the days in which none work because of some strike, how many actual days are these people really working???

No comments: