Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My mum and Sex and the City

Lucca (Italy), night

Of course, the closer I am getting to the movie coming out, the more I want to re-watch old episodes of Sex and the City. My mum got curious to see them too, since I talk so much about it.

The first time she saw a few episodes of the first series, she didn't like them, she fall asleep and she said that the stories are annoying and there is nothing interesting about it. Obviously, I still liked them a lot, even if I already saw them a couple of times each. This evening we tried with a few other episodes and while I was getting more and more into the stories, she was pffffuing a lot and sounding annoyed. She gave up after one episode.

I have to admit that I felt bad in some way. Because she got such a negative feeling about it, that I would be curious to know what she thinks about me now. For a lot of people Sex and the City is all about sex and women doing sex and talking about it. Maybe my mum now thinks that I am obsessed with sex and I have something like a double life that she didn't even suspect (I got the feeling that my family thinks that I am not really interested to that subject). For me Sex and the City is not about that. It is about a strong friendship among four different women above all. The kind of friendship that I dream of and that I would have need it during my break up with the olandesino. A friend who doesn't judge you and has the capacity to listen to you, even if you are a broken record. And after the friendship, even if the stories are exaggerated, they face the same problems that a lot of women face, the same insecurities. I don't know, but I can find a bit of myself in Miranda (the cynicism), a bit in Carrie (the feeling so insecure, the desire to hope and being afraid of hoping), maybe even a bit in Samantha (in being so afraid of relationships too)...not really in Charlotte. But anyway, I am sure that it is the same for a lot of other women....

But it was not such a good idea of watching it with my mum...I felt kind of judged, even if obviously she didn't say anything...I guess I will keep watching the old episodes left on my own.

No comments: