Tuesday, April 7, 2009

tragedies

USA, evening

Since this morning everyone comes to me to ask me if I heard the news, if my family is ok. The tragedy of the earthquake didn't happen near where my family lives. However, hundreds of people are not ok. Of course I am happy that my family is ok and nothing happened to them. However, tragedies are tragedies and they touch in the same way anyone who has the sensibility to recognize them as such. The tsunami in Indonesia, the numerous earthquakes, the cyclone that destroyed New Orleans and surrounding are all examples of natural disaster which cost the life of many many people. Again, I am happy that my family has not been touch by this disaster, I don't know what I would do if something would happen to them. But I am anyway touched by all these families who lost someone or many in the earthquake of last night in Abruzzo.

I just wanted to send a thought to them, even if it will not make their lives now any better. When these natural catastrophies happen, we should all stop one second to think how little and powerless we are, no matter how many cars or how much money we have or how important we are.
I know that it sounds bad, but when these things happen, my first thought is how lucky I am to not have been involved and that none of the people I love was there.

2 comments:

Piccola said...

It's really sad. I think people in San Francisco can really empathize because they have had some devastating earthquakes there too. I am happy to hear that your family is fine. The Italian's family is fine too. He has family in Abruzzo but they are closer to the coast, thank goodness. It's great that you are enjoying San Francisco. I am truly happy for you. Maybe you will make a new home there. :-)

fromtheworld said...

I am happy that the Italian and his family are fine too. It is scary to know that something so bad happened so close to someone you love.
I wish I could find a job here and move here for a while at least....too bad is so far from Italy and my family. Anyway, no job chances for me here for now. But who knows...maybe in the future...