Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Men in San Francisco

Usa, afternoon

Something absurd is happening to me here....

Yesterday, beautiful day, very hot. I felt like going rollerblading in the Golden Gate Park. I rent the rollerblades and I went. A guy who was standing at the shop where I rented the rollerblades (and I thought he was working there too) saw that I was not feeling to secure yet on them. So, he offered to rollerblade a bit with me. He ended up rollerblading with me for about two hours, telling me a lot of personal things about his life, proposing to me and offering me to stay here with him and leave on his boat for whatever destination I wanted to. Just him and me. Of course, I declined the offer. He went on and on about how cool I am, about how sexy I was, about how cool is my job, about how cool is that I traveled so much.....everything about me was cool. Whatever, when a man or a woman wants something is always really good in telling you exactly what you want to hear. No that hard.

Today. Lunch break. I sit waiting for my salad and a guy (he was there with his girlfriend who was momentarily in the bathroom) ask me why I buy a tea there. I looked at him quite surprised and answered: "because I like it". What would you have answered? Well, he thought that I was someone he vaguely know who works at the bakery next door, where they also make good tea, so why buying tea from the concurrency? Of course, I never met the guy before. From there, he asked me where I work and we started to talk about Amazonian forest, animals, he just came back from the Indian tropical forest, where he saw some cool animals. He was very very friendly, but I found it weird. I mean, people here are friendly, but they don't normally approach someone out of nowhere and start to tell them about their life. Or is it normal for San Francisco? In any case, when his girlfriend came out of the bathroom, I friendly smiled to her and started to talk to her. Maybe I am too jealous, but if out of nowhere, as soon as I go to the bathroom my boyfriend starts a conversation with a complete stranger, I don't think I would like it too much....

But again, I am Italian. We are famous for being passionate and jealous....
And maybe men here are famous for being extremely friendly and out forward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know students here from Europe who tell me it's strange that Americans like to tell their whole life story right when they meet someone. I find that to be true--I think many of us Americans say way too much about ourselves too soon. Glad to see your having a good time in SF!!

fromtheworld said...

I am enjoying SF a lot, but I am almost done with it :-(. Sad, but also ready to go back home in France now. It is funny that not only me, but other Europeans think that Americans tells a lot about their lives as soon as they talk to someone. Maybe it is due to the need and the desire to verbally communicate with someone.