Sunday, November 8, 2009

Old movies

France, evening

I got addicted to old movies. Scott tried to convince me why old movies are so good and why he likes them so much in any possible way. Maybe because I felt pushed by him and I normally do the opposite thing when I feel pushed, I never appreciated old movies so much when I watched them with him.
Now that I can chose on my own which movie to watch and when, I am exploring as much as I can this new world. And I love it!
I remember when my grandmother was telling me that Tom Cruise was not such a good actor, as Cary Grant or Gregory Peck etc. And I was looking at her thinking "what are you talking about". Now, I can see her point! These movies don't have big Hollywood effects, but the stories are good, the actors are great and they also have the right rhythm to capture me. Of course, I don't like all old movies. As I don't like all current movies. But I like to seat on my couch and forget about the rest of the world to just enjoy my movies!!!

In the last days I saw a few Hitchcock movies. So good. The one that I saw tonight has H. Fonda in it. He acts so well. And of course, some of these actors are so good looking too that as MissB pointed out to me in her comment to one of my past blog entries, it would be nice to have more Gregory Pecks around right now :-). And the thing is, the more old movies I watch, the more I want to watch. My grandmother and I just talked for half an hours this afternoon about her favorite actors of her time, the movies she likes etc.

I have to recognize that I should thank Scott for starting me on this, which is becoming more and more a very enjoyable hobby!

And the thing that amazes me most when I think about is that not too long ago the movies were still in black and white. The movie I saw tonight was made in the 1956. About 50 years ago only and it was in black and white. Since then, we had movies in colors and movies with incredible effects. In less than 50 years. Isn't that amazing and very impressive?

I am very impressed!!!

2 comments:

Portlandier said...

Hitchcock is my favorite director! Even today his movies still get to me. I think actors then had to rely on their acting more than all the special effects we have today.

Now I want to watch an old movie!

fromtheworld said...

My mom reacted the same way :-) I talk so much about old movies, that she wanted to watch them too :-)! Enjoy!
I miss Netflix here. Netflix is a great invention!!!