Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Whatever works

France, evening

I finally saw the latest Woody Allen movie, after I heard so much about it. People have been telling me that this is the best movie Woody Allen made, that it is so funny, that it is absolutely a movie to watch.

I just finished to watch it and I feel I should watch it again. It goes on very fast and you get to the end, or at least I got to the end, and I felt like "bah, ok, dunno". Did I like it? I don't know.

For sure it reminds me a lot of my interaction with a person closed to me. Me, like the young girl in this movie, very colorful, always wearing improbable things, feeling sunny; him, afraid of germs, diseases, what it could happen, a lot of deeps thoughts. Two quite opposite views that attract each others. Like in this movie. I agree with the way of thinking the main character expresses at the beginning when he talks to his wife: "we match so well, that rationally is perfect".

Apparently as this movie shows, rationality when it comes to love and relationships is not all. But, whatever works.....isn't the general philosophy of this movie a selfish way to look at things? yes, great in this movie at the end everyone is happy....but when does this happen in the real world? who would say after breaking up with someone, ok, we have been very happy till worked and now it is right that we follow whatever works for each of us? In this movie, it looks a lot like: it worked until it did and then he didn't work anymore, because it didn't mean to be anymore. As the main character says: love is not forever. Love it is not what moves things, except in a few cases.

I think that I am still a romantic girl in that sense.

But at the end......it is true....sometimes we break our heads over things and we don't realize that we just have one life and it is just up to us to make ourselves happy.

So, as Boris says at the end of the movie: That's why I can't say enough times, whatever love you can get and give, whatever happiness you can filch or provide, every temporary measure of grace, whatever works.

I found the movie funny and sad at the same time (in a classical Woody Allen style).


No comments: