Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Viareggio

France, morning

There are a lot of bad things happening every day in the world. But last night something happened very very close to my home town, in a place that I know very well and that I love. For some time with the olandesino we even dreamed of finding some financial support to start our own research group there. Anyway, this place is Viareggio, in Tuscany. And last night a deadly accident happened to a train transporting gas. There was an explosion, two buildings collapsed, a lot of fire, and a lot of people died and got badly injured.

In these moments, I always feel very sad and sorry for the victims of disasters like this one and also very lucky, because none of my family was there. And they could have been. Viareggio in the summer is a place where to go, to walk around, near the sea. I could have been on a train arriving in Viareggio, since from here it is the closest final train destination to my home town. When these things happen, I would like to be home with my family and the people I feel closer to me and hug all of them and just be together. It is so scary to think that one minute everything is fine and the next minute someone you love with all yourself could not be part of your life anymore.

It doesn't help anyone really, I know, but I feel very close to all the families who lost someone they love in this tragic accident.

No comments: