Friday, July 11, 2008

Relax? what does it mean?

Montpellier (France), evening

I am at home, feeling really agitated. I am waiting for a man who is supposed to come to fix things in my apartment. I rushed out of work to be here on time so that he could fix everything and a) he is not here b) when I called him almost an hour ago he told me that he was at the corner and he would be at the apartment in 5 minutes c) I have a rash on my leg that the doctor told me to be due to the stress and that I should chill out. Maybe if you are French, if you were born in the South of France, you are able to deal with these kind of things. Me, I am Italian, so I suppose I am already genetically well adapted to tolerate this kind of behavior, and I still have a lot of problems with it. I wonder how German or Americans or Dutch could deal with this attitude d) never, ever trust what they tell you here in a shop. The France Telecom, so the phone company, told me that registering a new number would cost me 55 euros. I just got the bill. It is 88. From where the 33 additional euros come from? and why didn't they mention them at all since I went twice to the shop?

Beside these daily annoying things, that of course make for someone like me almost impossible to relax, since I always wait for a bad surprise around the corner, I also have packed so much stress in the past years, changing every year the place where I live, adapting every time to a new country and how things work in that country and especially work related stress, that now I am not even sure I remember what relaxation means.
I am always ready to jump, like a cat that sleeps with its eyes half open (well, not my mum's cat...when Camilla sleeps, she really sleeps)...My senses are always alerted. I feel like a wild animal, always prepared to run and to fight....

I am wondering if this is an healthy way of living....

No comments: