Monday, March 31, 2008

Socks

Lucca (Italy), night

I love to be in my bed writing here. I just find it cozy. A bit of music, soft light, my pc and my thoughts. Extremely relaxing.

I was thinking about one scene of the movie I saw the other day "Tutta la vita davanti" and I started to think about feet and socks. Everyone who knows me also knows that I have a light obsession for feet. I think that my feet are one of the most beautiful part of my body and I pay a lot of attention to feet and socks and shoes and the way people walk and put their feet when they walk. It is something that I do automatically. My brain record the information, and I formulate thoughts about it even before to realize what I am looking at.
So, in one of the scene of the movie, the main character, Marta, have sex in the car with Elio Germano. And till here, nothing weird or wrong. The thing is that in that scene, you see a foot of Elio Germano up in the air (well, still in the car of course). Nothing weird again. Except for the sock he was wearing in that scene. It was gray/blue. A normal sock color for men I guess. But he was moving the foot in such a funny way, the toes especially from what I could see from the sock, that I ended up not only paying a lot of attention to it, but I also keeping thinking about it. The scene with the sock was probably not more that 5 seconds.
I know, I pay a lot of attention to not significant details, which end up becoming significant in my life since I focus so much on them...
So, I have this thing with men and socks....My first boyfriend had a passion for sporty cotton socks, no matter with which kind of shoes. It was something that I just couldn't look at it. You really have to love someone to be with him when he wears sporty cotton socks with elegant shoes. Then of course when I moved to Germany, it was even a more dramatic experience. They just like to wear socks with sandals. They don't care about it. In three years and half, I never got used to it and I always looked away. In Holland it was better in terms of men and socks....but then in USA....Oh, the USA......In Italy we use to recognize Americans from the shoes they wear and their socks. If you see someone with white sporty shoes (and not sneakers, but something more like running shoes), shorts and long socks (preferably white again), then you could bet they are 99% of the time from Florida. And then often outside Italy you see men wearing short socks and short pants, so that when they sit, you can see a piece of their leg....which is not a sexy thing at all, especially if the socks are white.
This is one of the thing that I love of the Italian style. Men socks. Long, colored (no pale colors, not white). That is how it should be. If your pant goes up, you have a nice dark sock. If you wear elegant shoes, then the socks perfectly fit with that.

I remember a conversation with a good friend of mine, German. She thought that an half dressed man in boxer and long socks was not looking as sexy as a man with boxer and short socks. I couldn't disagree more on that. Beside the the top for me would be a man with well made feet and no socks, but if I have to go for the socks, VIVA the long socks!
We both anyway agree that the "speedo" underwear for a man is extremely not-sexy....that kind of underwear is still popular for men here in Italy. Unfortunately.....

No comments: