Thursday, March 20, 2008

Suv

Lucca (Italy), morning

There is a rising worry here. It is not about the coming political election (which are of course reason enough to be really really worry, especially if Berlusconi will become premier again), but about the explosion of a lost or respect of public spaces, things, environments.
Italy and fashion always go hand by hand in everyone's mind. Sometimes fashion is dictating too much in Italy, but I agree that it is always better than ugliness and lack of respect for other people's eyes. Anyway. I don't agree with one of the latest fashion must: having a suv.
A suv, at least this is the way they are called here, are these big cars, which resemble more a track than a car to me. I am more a Panda or a Twingo person. One of this person for which a car is a tool to move for larger distances that I cannot quickly cover on foot or by bike. Cars like a Panda or a Twingo are small, city friendly, road friendly, traffic friendly, people friendly. I always heard that you can associate a dog with its honer. I think the same about cars.
Look at who drives a suv. A suv is for someone who needs to scream to the entire world "hey look at me, I am here", someone who wants to move forward because bigger, a bully. You don't buy a suv because you need a big car, because you have a big family, because you always bring your bike with you, your dogs or your surf board. For those reasons you buy a station wagon, not a suv. And you don't buy a suv because of aesthetic. You would buy a classic Porche or a Jaguar for that reason, an elegant car. Neither you get a suv because you need a strong car, because in those cases, you would buy a jeep.
Basically a suv is an arrogant way to impose yourself to the rest of the world, to pollute more (because anyway I am not going to see the effects of my pollution now and come on, it is just a car, how much damage it can do...), to scare any other driver who like me loves small friendly cars.
Unfortunately I observed that a Suv driver has also other disrespectful behaviors toward the rest of the world. They are the one who always look for fastest and easiest solution to get things done in a faster way, no matter at which cost for the others. They are the ones who trow things out of the windows of their big suv, that when they have to stand in line need to tell to anyone how busy they are to wait in a line like anyone else, that they talk on their cellphone laud (normally they have more than one) to let anyone know how important they are for the rest of the world to keep running. These exact bully behavior are lately increasing at fast rate here in Italy. People who make their own way trough the world not by intelligence or talent, but by arrogance.
I know that we should just look and pass by, but please, if you read here, do me a favor. If you see an arrogant person driving a suv (it has also to be arrogant, you cannot just condemn someone because he/she drive a suv, even if of course a suv is a disrespectful car itself), step with energy on one of his/her feet. Of course, after you should say with a big smile "oh, I am sorry, I didn't see you".
Thanks.

No comments: