Sunday, August 30, 2009

Very un-cool

France, morning

This morning I am in a blogging mood. Maybe because last night with these three girls we discussed about a lot of things that I thought interesting.

One of them was Facebook. Ok, I am officially un-cool and "antique". I am not on Facebook, nor I intend to be there. For a lot of reasons, among which:

- It promotes a "voyeur" behavior. And because I am not better than anyone else and I know myself very well, I know that I would end up abusing it and checking about all the people I know (especially ex-). This would ends up torturing me and actually making me feel sad.

- For sure, as everything else, it all depends on how you use it. But the information you put in there will remain there even after canceling your account, linked to your name. I don't like this. I don't need people (even friends of a friend) to know what I am doing, seeing, thinking, ect. Of course, with a blog, I share these info too. But none actually knows who I am and the ones who do, they know anyway what I am doing, seeing, thinking and most of the times they don't even check my blog.

- It wouldn't make me feel more connected. I actually believe that it would make me feel more lonely. I am an old-fashion person (as I have been defined yesterday). I still write long letters to communicate. And I have a few very important people that count a lot in my life. The other, are just people that pass by in my life. The ones who matter to me, are the ones to whom I send emails, and/or letters, and/or cards.

- I don't like the fact that everyone assumes that I am on Facebook and so I know what it is going on in their lives, saw their pictures or whatever they put or write there. I got to know that a friend of mine had a bad accident almost a month after he had the accident. Why? because he wrote about it on Facebook (well, his brother did it for him) and none bothered to tell me about it as they thought that I would read about it on Facebook.

- I would spend too much time on it and I would feel left out if I am not updating it, checking what it is going on etc. Now that instead I am out of it, I don't feel left out (even if anyone else yesterday asked me this "don't you feel left out?")

So, I enjoyed to read this article on the NewYorkTimes this morning.

No comments: