Saturday, March 21, 2009

Potato bread

USA, evening

I got to San Francisco....I am still completely under the jet lag effect. Last night I woke up at midnight, at 3 am, at 5 am and then definitively at 6.30 am. But beside that and the long trip to get here (after 6 hours on the plane I was ready to be done with it and I was only at half of the trip...), I am happy. I like San Francisco. The weather is nice, the people are friendly, the city is beautiful, a lot of people walking, running, smiling....Maybe I am in a good neighborhood, I don't know, but the atmosphere is definitively nice. If it was not so far from Italy, I wouldn't have so many problems to move here (except the fact that I would need to find a job too, of course)... I am staying in a nice guest house and the owner of it is so nice...so far, I have no complains. And the California Academy of Science, the new building, is incredible! very very nice. I still didn't get a chance to walk around and see everything in there, but from what I saw, it is incredible!
And this neighborhood. Full of small grocery stores, small shops, locally produced products...and an Irish bakery. Today, on the way back from work, I couldn't resist to buy something in there...unfortunately, it seems that all the bread in Ireland is made with cream or buttermilk or milk....so, I can't have it. But everything was so inviting that I couldn't walk out without anything. I got the only thing without milk products in there, the potato bread........................................................and I am so disappointed! I really don't like it. They have all these inviting different kind of breads and I got probably the only thing that doesn't taste good :-(!!!
Tomorrow, I will go and explore here around a bit more...

2 comments:

Piccola said...

Potato bread is usually very declicious, but maybe I have only tasted the ones with milk or buttermilk. The bread that San Francisco is famous for is sourdough. Enjoy yourself! San Francisco is a nice city.

fromtheworld said...

I agree with you that potato bread is usually very good. I tried in Italy too and I liked it a lot. But the one I got yesterday was mushy and tasting too much of potato...disappointing. Today I followed your advice and I got a sourdough bread. It seems promising!