Saturday, March 20, 2010

baking on friday

France, night

I normally bake on sunday morning, but since I invited people to come over to my place, I decided to bake two cakes for this evening. I made brownies and a cake with carrots and apples (very little apples). They were very good. But I was especially surprise by how delicious it was the cake with the carrots and apples. You should try it!!! I highly recommend it. I can't find a good picture to put it here. I should have got a picture of my own cake.
My mom sent me the recipe for this cake (I think she found it on the web):

Ingredients:
150 grams of flour, 5 eggs, 200 g of carrots, 180 g of margarine, a packet of baking powder, 125 grams of granulated almonds, 120 g of sugar, an apple, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, two full spoons of brown sugar.


Grate the carrots and place on a kitchen towel. Cover with another towel and let dry for one hour. Work 150 g of margarine with the sugar (mix very well till you get an homogeneous compound). Stir in four egg yolks and one whole egg (save three egg whites). Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, almonds and carrots. Beat 3 egg whites till they are very firm (I still don't know to say this in English. In Italian is montare le chiare a neve). Grease a round mold hinged, pour the mixture and sprinkle the surface with plenty of sugar cane. Bake at 180 degrees for one hour. Peeled and sliced apple. Cook for few minutes in a pan with the remaining margarine, and a tablespoon of brown sugar. Take the cake from the oven and distribute the apples on the surface of the cake. Put it back in the oven for just a couple of minutes.

Ready to eat!!! Enjoy it!!!

No comments: