Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sex and the city 2- after the movie

I finally saw it. Sex and the City 2.

I have to say that watching it in French it is not the best way of seeing it. Carrie has a horrible voice in French. And the dialogues, I am sure about it because I did the comparison between the original and other version of the series, lose some sparkles in the translation.

But I generally liked it.

It may be because I was so prepared to such a bad bad movie after reading all the negative comments on the movie database, that I didn't have high expectations. Of course, they could have dressed Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte a bit more like "normal" people when they were in Abu Dhabi, and there is one day (in the movie is the same day) in which they are in the desert and they change 4 times, always wearing fabulous dresses. It is true, there is not such a big story behind this movie, and true also that Carrie looks quite selfish in this movie (these are some of the comments I read about it). But the point is: 1) Carrie is a selfish character, even in the episodes, so no surprise there. I think that the fans of Sex and the City knows her that way. 2) The dresses were exaggerate for being in Abu Dhabi probably. But I have never been there, so, I don't know. Maybe they were not so out of place, if the state is considered to be the new Dubai. The movie is a lot about the different outfits of each of them. But so it was the previous movie. I guess that it is more and more a characteristic of Sex and the City being something like a fashion show too. I don't find it adding something the movie, and some of the outfits were out of place (e.g. the skirt of Carrie when she meets Aidan at the market downtown), but I guess that it was predictable that clothes would play a bit role in this movie. 3) The story behind this movie is really poor. True, there is not such a big story, but there are a lot of more daily little stories in there. I don't have kids, but I love the scene in which Miranda and Charlotte get together to talk about their frustrations. And I felt close to Carry when she got a bad review for her book (I don't write books, but I have to write a lot of articles for my work and sometimes I get very bad reviews too).

I also read that the movie is kind of racist, especially because of Samantha's behavior, shows that Americans know little about the culture of other places and comments of this kind. Samantha is Samantha. She is very true to her character. And in fact, in a different culture, she gets in trouble for being so liberal. I didn't find it respectfulness. Of course, Samantha was there for work-reasons, but wasn't the goal of the person who invited her there to let her know and appreciate the place so that she could propose it as a fancy-luxury holidays location? She explored the place in her own way. And I don't think that the movie portraits Americans in a bad way.

Conclusion: it is not a great movie, and the series is still better than any of the two movies, but after all I liked it, I spent some 2 nice hours with some girlfriend, we went out after it to talk about it (and of course to talk about other things too), it made me feel very light, it made me feel I wish I could wear some of those dresses and shoes just to try them on (and I am very far from being someone interested in fashion and shoes, but some of the clothes they were are wonderful!), it made me laugh. So, all of these, are very positive things!

And Liza Minnelli is great! Really a plus to this movie! I saw her playing in "Arrested Development" and she has an amazing personality, whatever the role she has to play. Really a top part of this movie.

Let me know if you watched it and what you think about it.

No comments: