Friday, January 8, 2010

Heading to Oregon

Italy, afternoon

If these holidays brought me something good (except the forced rest due to being sick for over a week), for sure it is a much nicer relationship with my mom. The relationship that I have with my mom is characterized by a lot of ups and downs over the years, depending on the reciprocal level of stress due to other things and regularly taken on each other when we end up in the same place.

This time, independently of the stress and of other things that may have happened, so far we had a great time (and I need to knock on wood at this point, since I will spend some more days here in Italy). I am appreciating the quality time spent with her so much, that it will be hard to leave and being far again. We went to see a ballet, we took long walks, we went to the movie theater (a few days ago to see Sherlock Holmes, which we loved!!! I really enjoyed the way the movie was directed), we improvised a lunch out, we talked a lot, we took a lot of rain, we laughed. It was just very, very nice as it hasn't been in a long time. It felt like we were again on the same wave length again.

So, as since a while I am thinking that I would like to spend some time visiting Oregon, and especially Portland (and this may be due to two bloggers (MissB and Piccola) that I follow who live in Oregon), I was thinking that I may start to plan a couple of weeks visit with my mom. I like traveling with her. We both love walking around, and she is very open in terms of food, things to see, experiences to have....I know that a couple of weeks would probably not be enough, but I don't think that I could take more time away (nor my mom could)....I don't even know if it could happen this year, but it is already nice to start to think about it, read about it and make some ideal plan!!!

Of course, Oregon bloggers, any input about best season to go there, what to see in two weeks, etc, is very welcomed!!!

4 comments:

Portlandier said...

I'm glad your having fun andI hope you do visit!

Since I never had a chance to live in Portland I don't know too much about where to go there. I go downtown Portland and it's Pearl District when I visit. Piccola would know much more.

I live on the central coast near Pacific City and when I visited, my family and I drove up and down the coast on highway 101 sightseeing, eating, and hiking. The towns on the coast are pretty small but it is beautiful here. The best time for the coast is August through early October because it is sunny and not as hot inland.
Let me know if you had any more questions, I am happy to help in any way :)

fromtheworld said...

The summer would be the best time for me to plan a visit there. And visiting the places along the coast sounds like a great idea. In two weeks I can't do too much for sure. But I heard that there are beautiful forests in Oregon and I always love the places in the pictures you post on your blog!!! I will keep you updated on this trip planning!! Thanks for the tips!

Piccola said...

Wow!! This is great news!! You can see so much in two weeks here. Miss B is correct about downtown and the Pearl district and also about coming in August. We have the best weather during this time. I would suggest a visit to the Columbia River Gorge and Cannon Beach. The Oregon coast is like no other, really stunning! The CR Gorge has many waterfalls and hiking trails. You can also visit Washington Park (just a few blocks from my home!) which has the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden and really beautiful views of the city. For shopping, NW 23rd has some really cute boutiques and some nice places to eat. Being that you are in research, if you love the city, you can also check out OHSU (Oregon Health Science University) for possible career opportunities. If you enjoy hiking, Oregon is full of places to hike. You can also go down to Silver Falls State Park which has trails and waterfalls. If you have time, you can also drive up to Seattle which is about 3 hours North. There are so many things around here and I am sure there will be many things going on at that time. I will keep you informed as the time nears. I am hoping Ale will also be here for August! Let me know if you have any questions :-)

fromtheworld said...

Wow, this is cool!!! I am getting already excited like if the trip would come very soon. I am happy that August is a good season, as it will be when I will probably have more time for holidays. I will get a map and a lonely planet so that I can start to see where these places are located and how far are from each other!!! Thanks!!! I will keep you informed about my trip plans! And of course Piccola, I hope for you that Ale will be there with you!!!