Sunday, June 12, 2011

Walking the streets of Montpellier

I went to see the movie "Midnight in Paris" with some friends last night. They all liked it except me. It was funny, but it was very predictable and I found the story in itself to be very poor. After the movie we went to a pub...like always.
I discovered one thing. For the people of Portugal, it is all about food. Getting together is all plaid around food and eating (I guess in Italy it happens the same....I just don't remember). Here in France, it is all about "prendre un verre", which basically means going out to drink something. I have to work hard to convince people to do something else beside sitting in a cafe' or in a pub to drink something and even when I do convince someone to do something else, the afternoon or the evening program MUST also include "de prendre un verre". Fortunately yesterday we didn't stay at the pub too long. I just get so bored after a while of sitting in a group in a pub drinking and talking. I am more the kind of person who likes to do things instead of just sitting and drinking (also because how many juices and glass of water can I drink in a single evening since I don't drink alcohol???).
In any case, after the pub we went for a long long walk and since I was not alone (I don't like to walk alone at night here, there are too many drunk people around), for once I really enjoyed walking around the streets of Montpellier at night. It was a bit chilli, but overall it was very pleasant. I guess that we walked for about two hours and it was very nice. I am a nocturnal person, definitively, and I love walking around. I think that it is the best way to discover a place. So, even if I live here since almost three years, last night I had the chance to really enjoy this city. I hope to have the chance to walk around at night again in the future. I love it. Plus....I got the chance to see a few geckos on the walls of the old houses here. Nice!
Link

2 comments:

girl daydreaming said...

it's so nice to visit your blog again and see what you have been up to. i like this post, the feeling it gives of enjoying the town at night with friends.

i just love walking, i walk for hours, it feels good for my heart and mind also.

i will visit some friends for the first time abroad, and i was just thinking that i have to tell them how much i just love walking... and maybe they will walk with me.

sorry to write so much, but the other thing is, i felt similiar about woody allen's movie in barcelona because i lived there for a while. it seemed pretentious. but when i moved away i liked seeing the movie, a kind of nice memory, even though prententious...

fromtheworld said...

Happy to read you back on my blog! Yes, I am really enjoying here now....maybe because I want to live anything that Montpellier has to offer before moving from here maybe forever.