Friday, September 11, 2009

too old

France, morning

I woke up early this morning, so I have a bit of time to write here. There is a lot going on in my life right now and I would need to step back for a moment to really realize what it is fully. Instead, I keep running all the time.

I was at a friend place a few evenings ago. I had a good time. And when I left, I realized something. Aging is really changing my way of looking at things. Beside the fact that I became more cynical, which is not necessarily a good thing, I am also much more detached and less interested about things that years ago were making me thrilling or at least feeling good.

The point being in this case, men attentions.
There was this young guy the other evening too. I say "young" because he is certainly younger than me, even if I am not sure how much younger. Anyway, he kept flirting with me all evening. And even if I know that this is his way of being, years ago I would have been very flattered anyway. Now, I just look at it with a smile. And I am becoming very good in giving the image of myself as a chick who while getting older, enjoys a lot to just be by myself...which I can't get it why, for men is very attractive....

So, without digressing too much. This guy drove a friend of mine and I near by home and during the trip he was complaining about how I never stop by to say hi to him at his place, even when I go running next to his apartment. Why I don't go to visit him since he has a very comfortable hammock on his balcony (and I love hammocks!!!). Why don't we get together next week, etc. etc. etc. Me, all along this, I was just standing in front of him smiling. Very polite, and meaning nothing special.

Then I got home, and I got a sms from him with his home address...as apparently I forgot where he lives since I never stop by.
Now, it is not that the guy is not attractive. On the contrary, actually, especially for being French :-). It is just that even if I watch a lot of Sex and the City and even if I love this show, I am not quite like that. I have never been like that. But getting older makes me feel that one night stand or a few nights are not for me. And that if I see that with this person it wouldn't go anywhere anyway, I don't even respond to the flirting.

I always enjoyed men attentions....I guess that now together with some white hair (fortunately at the moment only two...I control it almost every day!!!), also my way of looking at things changed in the last years....is it good or bad????

6 comments:

Piccola said...

You will never know unless you try, I live my life by this saying. How do you know that his intentions are only for a one night stand or "aventura"? I mean, sure it's possible but it is also possible that he really likes you and has only the best intentions. I think you should see what happens. If he tries to get intimate and you are not comfortable, then you put a stop to it, but it is possible that he has feelings for you. I think you should go see what he's all about. You are only as old as you feel and only you set limits in your life. I think it's time you let go and have a little fun :-) Try it, you might actually like it! Maybe you should ask your friends that know him what kind of person he is.

fromtheworld said...

Hey, I am happy to "see" you here!! I know the guy, he is nice, but not my type at all. So, another reason to not try. Even if for him it was not one night stand, it wouldn't do for me. And beside, I have my head totally somewhere else...so, no....but for sure you are right, I need to have some fun and have a bit more lightness in my life :-)
I love your positivity!

Portlandier said...

I can see what you mean--although for me not because of age but more because of past experiences. I have been ignoring perfectly nice guys because I don't view them as worth the effort or maybe I don't feel like going through the whole "getting to know" someone thing again.

But I agree with Piccola that perhaps you could go on one date and just have fun and have no expectations for what he or you want. However, you have to do it in your own time and when you feel open to it.

fromtheworld said...

Happy to have got a comment from both of you, Piccola and MissB, my "old" blog friends :-).

What I wanted to say with this post was that maybe I have a different idea of myself. I wouldn't go that far saying that now I am more self-confident, but at least my self-confidence about the way I look is not at all influenced by the fact if I receive or not men' attention. And I guess this has something to do with getting older and having had a past.

For the rest, my head is somewhere else, so I have no interest in dating, especially if I see that the other person would not be the person for me. But it is true MissB that at least for me, the older I get, the more the idea of going trough all the stages of a relationship makes me feel that I would do it only if it looks worth it. Otherwise, I am better on my own....

Piccola said...

if he's not your type then that changes things, of course but there's nothing wrong with being friends, right? By the way, I wanted to thank you for your suggestion to try spinning. I did and I have lost approximately 10 pounds since starting!! I love it! I am going to continue with it. I am taking 4 classes per week and I can feel the fat melting off :-)

fromtheworld said...

In fact, we are friends and we hang out with other people from time to time.
I am happy that you like spinning! it is great, isn't it? such a strong aerobic exercise...and it takes so much energy out of you that you can't think of anything else. For me, it is very relaxing too. Enjoy it!