Friday, July 29, 2011

The world is at the feet of self-confident people

I was supposed to go to a birthday party tonight. Instead the party has been cancelled because one of the friends of the guy organizing the party decided to have a dinner with most of their common friends at his place. I thought that it was very rude, but this is just my opinion.

This story made me thinking about something.

I know a lot of people and I am very close to a few of them. Many of the people I am very close to are not that self-confident, even if they would have all the reasons to be. It had always be part of my role in life (and I don't why) to open the eyes of these people to let them see how great they are and how many good, fantastic qualities they have. Me, finally, after many years of struggling, I got most of my self-confidence back. Not all, of course I still have many insecurities here and there, but for sure right now I care very very little about what others think of me. For sure it helps that I am alone, without a boyfriend....I always lose self-confidence and self-respect when I am with someone, unfortunately...I guess that it is because I always put the other person and the other person desires in front of me.

Anyway. The point is that when someone is self-confident he/she can convince almost anyone else of how great he/she is and attractive, and interesting, and the rest of the whole "I am cool" package. On the contrary, when someone lacks self-confidence, it doesn't matter how great he/she is, he/she will be the first to put him/herself at a second place and either follow what other people think or do or isolate him/herself. It is very sad. Because all these people that I know who lack self-confidence are actually very cool people, they are probably just different, they just probably don't fit in and they didn't find their dimension yet, but they are wonderful, amazing people, who cannot see how valuable they are because they lack of self-esteem. My ex-boyfriend was and in part still is like that. And this always made me very angry. The world is so judgmental, we are so judgmental (and of course I include myself in this statement) that if someone doesn't conform to what it is generally considered "cool" or if someone is just slightly different, then he/she doesn't deserve attention and the investment of time to be discovered as a maybe wonderful person.

When growing up I had many problems because I felt different, I have always been interested on different things than the majority of people of my age, and in general I rarely felt that I fitted in. Fortunately, instead of becoming a very self-insecure person, I don't know why, but probably thanks to my mom who always encouraged me to just be me and follow what I like and want to do, I grew up liking myself very very much. Again, I have my insecurities, but overall I like the person I am and the way I look. I am proud of myself. But I do know how difficult is to interact with people when you are even just slightly different. You can feel immediately wrong or not interesting enough. I had times in the past years in which I thought I lost my self-confidence forever and it was very hard, because I felt incredibly insignificant, invisible, and unimportant. And it was horrible.

It is amazing how much importance we give to the people around us and how strongly we let them influence our lives, who we are, and the opinion we have about ourselves.
We should all get a course while growing up on how to be just ourselves and on how not to be afraid of not fitting in and being alone, because after all it is better to be alone and be ourselves, than being surrounded by people who actually don't know the real you or are not interested in knowing it.

No comments: