Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Nuclear power plants: yes or not?

I read in the news this morning that within three years, Italy will start the works to have nuclear power plants......and I wonder....but who really wants them?

Do I? and the majority of the Italians? Didn't we vote years ago against having nuclear power plants at the moment when the rest of Europe was investing on it? we didn't want them at that time, we want them now when any country invest in alternative energy sources.....and Italy? no, in Italy we cut the support to the research, but we plan to invest in nuclear power plants.....

I agree that producing as much energy as a nuclear power plant produces just using alternative energy resources is not easy....but we have to consider other things: 1) nuclear power plants produce energy, but they also do use a lot of energy, so I am not sure how so positive the net energy produced is. b) where are all the nuclear waste produced going to be dumped? in the sea?
c) who would live close to a nuclear power plant?

I saw a few of them here in France. And they are ugly. People in Italy complain about not wanting the gigantic wind mills to use the wind energy because the wind mills disturb the view and ruin the landscape. Ok, what about a nuclear power plant then? is that any nicer? have you ever seen the fumes coming out of a nuclear power plant?

Shouldn't we vote again to see how many Italians really would like to have nuclear power plants in Italy and invest their tax money on this issue more than on other things? why do I feel that while other countries try to move forward, Italy is trying to move backward???

PS. I saw the wind mills in Sardinia, in the middle of the landscape and they didn't look ugly at all to me. Actually, they are huge, but they didn't disturb my view of the landscape.

No comments: